Take a day trip from Miami to Key West and discover the wonders of this classic American road trip. Find out how to visit and explore the best things to do along the way. This guide will showcase different route options and highlight the stunning attractions to see once you arrive on the beautiful island.
If you’re seeking a serene escape from the city’s hustle and bustle, make sure to include a visit to the Florida Keys in your plans. Key West, the most renowned of the islands, awaits as the southernmost point of the mainland USA. Immerse yourself in a paradise adorned with abundant palm trees, a vibrant azure blue sea, and a plethora of captivating history, including the former residence of literary legend Ernest Hemingway.
How to Get From Miami to Key West
How can one travel from Miami to Key West, you ask? Well, the journey spans roughly 165 miles and typically takes around 4 hours by car or bus. However, this is not your average drive! As you make your way along the sun-drenched highways of Florida, you and your companions will be treated to breathtaking vistas of the coastline.
1. Miami to Key West Day Trip By Bus
One excellent option for traveling from Miami to Key West is to embark on a bus journey. By doing so, you can enjoy the convenience of not having to focus on driving while also having the opportunity to unwind with a good book, appreciate the scenic beauty of the Overseas Highway, or simply indulge in a pleasant and restful nap. Furthermore, this mode of transportation provides an excellent means of acquiring intriguing knowledge about the fascinating Florida Keys along the way.
If you choose to travel by bus, you will reach your destination by mid-morning, granting you approximately 6.5 hours to maximize your day trip experience. Whether you are visiting Key West for a day as part of a cruise or via the bus, you can expect to have a similar amount of time available. Regardless of your mode of transportation, it is crucial to be strategic with your time if you wish to visit a multitude of Key West’s historically significant landmarks, savor its delectable cuisine, and partake in its awe-inspiring water sports activities.
2. Miami to Key West Day Trip By Car
To get from Miami to Key West, rent a car and stop at Key Largo, but this may take several hours. The distance is relatively short, but the roads are mostly two-lane and speed limits are low. Speeding is not recommended due to the heavy police presence and strict enforcement.
To avoid traffic, leave early in the morning or at night after rush hour. The trip from Homestead to Key West should take at least three hours, possibly longer with stops. If time permits, consider turning the day trip into a road trip, exploring the amazing islands and attractions along the way. This includes the Turtle Hospital in Marathon Key and snorkeling at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo.
Miami Key West Tours
Here’s a one-day scheduled tour proposal for the Miami-Key West route. The main reason for interest in this tour is the ability to customize the route based on personal tastes, which is why we will illustrate it option by option.
1. Miami to Key West Day Trip: Basic Tour
For approximately $49, you can opt for the basic package, which entails a 12-hour excursion. Commencing at 6:30 a.m., you will be picked up at your hotel and embark on a bus journey to Key West via the splendid Overseas Highway. Once there, you will be granted ample free time to explore the city’s captivating attractions and engage in some retail therapy. As the day draws to a close, the return trip will transport you back to Miami around 9:30 p.m. Tour Info
2. Miami to Key West Day Trip + Options
- Day trip from Miami to Key West + Conch Train: This exclusive option allows you to delve into the city’s fascinating secrets as you are guided through its points of interest on a charming small train. Ideal for those seeking a detailed exploration of this captivating town. Approximate price: 159 dollars.
- Day trip from Miami to Key West + hop-on, hop-off bus: Enjoy the flexibility of transportation and sightseeing throughout the entire day, embracing the freedom this type of service offers. Approximate price: 159 dollars.
- Day trip from Miami to Key West + snorkeling cruise: Alongside the basic tour, experience a 3-hour adventure on a 65-foot catamaran, providing opportunities for snorkeling. The package includes snorkeling equipment and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Rest assured, the waters remain warm year-round. Approximate price: 149 dollars.
- Day trip from Miami to Key West + transparent bottom boat cruise: Not just an ordinary exploration, this tour allows you to marvel at the beauty of the Florida Sea on a 2-hour trip aboard a transparent bottom boat, with the coral reef practically at your fingertips. Approximate price: 169 dollars.
- Day trip from Miami to Key West + parasailing: This package, in addition to the city tour, offers a unique opportunity to witness Key West from above as you soar over the azure waters with a state-of-the-art parasailing boat. Suitable for those seeking a more adrenaline-fueled adventure, this activity is restricted to participants aged 6 and above, lasting a total of 15 minutes. The remaining time can be spent leisurely exploring the city streets before returning to Miami. Approximate price: 186 dollars. Tour Info
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any family-friendly activities in Key West?
Yes, families can enjoy attractions like the Key West Aquarium, Butterfly and Nature Conservatory, and Fort Zachary Taylor State Park.
What is the best time of year to visit Key West?
The winter months (December to April) offer pleasant weather and fewer crowds.
Are there any eco-tourism or wildlife tours available in Key West?
Yes, you can join eco-tours to spot dolphins, sea turtles, and other marine life, as well as explore mangrove ecosystems.